Monday 19 August 2013

Beyond The Obvious: Ndidi Ekubia

While growing up, Adults used to ask me one particular annoying question, you know all those “ brother” who like feeling important and like they know what’s up? They’ll just throw the question Gba! “what do you want to study in the university? Hey! And I’m always quick to tell them the first thing that comes to mind or the last course I heard someone mention. One day my cousin caught me red handed when he asked same question and I promptly fed him my usual line; ofcourse I can’t remember what I told him but I know it was a science course; the next thing I heard was, are you sure you know what you’re saying or you heard someone mention that? Nna eh, I actually heard someone say it o! but I just ignored him. Anyway I ended up studying Sociology which I actually filled in my Jamb form, which I eventually got and ended up suffering 14 whole courses a semester for 4years.

What am I driving at? Most times, even at the point of entry, a lot of young people are still unsure what direction to take, they’ve not been properly taught how to identify their interests and skills. Who’s to blame? Parents? School ? Because I believe every school should have a proper guidance counseling unit with the sole aim of coaching and guiding these kids towards a defined career path. Also most parents are stuck with the idea that most lucrative professions lie within the obvious ones like medicine, law, engineering etc without looking beyond the perceived obvious ones.

Ndidi Ekubia
Everyday young people are breaking new grounds in fields most people would ordinarily shun which brings me to Ndidi Ekubia’s case, a talented and well-read silversmith. She achieved her MA in Silversmithing at the Royal College of Arts in 1998 and has since been showcasing her beautiful and creative pieces in prestigious exhibitions. She has been growing in reputation and is well known for her imaginative style and her use of traditional techniques where she beats sheet metal over wooden and steel forms.
Using traditional silversmithing techniques that require the beating of sheet metal over steel and wooden forms, Ndidi produces a range of exquisite vessels, including wine goblets and ice buckets. For The New Craftsmen she has produced a new addition to her work – a limited number of classic household candle snuffers.

Ndidi’s inspirations stem from the patterns of everyday life; from the cityscape of London through to organic natural forms. In turn, her artistic landscape has been determined by the bold Africa shapes, textiles, food and passionate family conversation of her childhood.

Ndidi has exhibited at the Museum of Arts & Design New York; The Saatchi Gallery in London, the Pavilion of Art and Design, Berkeley Square, Mayfair, London; the Goldsmiths Hall London and Sotheby’s New Bond Street in London.

You see? E fit be your pickin if only you would help them choose right,would you prefer your kid to follow the same old path that is already saturated or make new exploits? It doesn’t have to be silversmithing like Ndidi, there are a thousand and one fields one can pick from. the key is finding out what interests your child, do your research then choose right. Goodluck


Credits: SanChi Media 

Oya i'm done with today's epistle so have you all a beautiful week and don't forget my tips on Dealing With Mondays, Click Here For A Recap

4 comments:

  1. My niece has parents who are doctors and if it was when we grew up, she for automatically be doctor too. but thank God they live in UK and are enlightened and now she is a becoming a star in dance n acting...next stop hollywood

    as for me, i had wanted to be a gigolo but e no dey jamb course listings so i had to become a womanizer :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wanted to be a lawyer my dad pushed me to study economics,, lemme not bore or excite you guys with my story.... Kids should be allowed to follow their hearts

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. is that why u r now always trying to follow me Chika? hmmm :p

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

Translate